Sharples School Star Party (proposed)

bbones

Sharples School Star Party (proposed)

Post by bbones » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:11 am

Hi All

Sharples are interested in hosting another Star Party, in the near future, but as we know it does not get dark enough until latter in the evening now, but perhaps we might sort out a moon party :D with the possibility of Jupiter and Mars later ;)

There is no date set yet however we need some volunteers to bring along their scopes and knowledge to assist, so before we get back to Mukesh, we need to know how many members would be able to support us.

Please indicate but replying to this post

Thanks

Bill

rwilkinson

Re: Sharples School Star Party (proposed)

Post by rwilkinson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:47 am

Yes Bill, I'd be up for that, and can fetch along my C8.
I guess that it would need to be after their Easter break and on a night when the Moon is visible in the early evening, so we'd probably be into the first week of May by then?

It won't get properly dark until after 10pm - too late for deep-sky viewing, but perhaps we could try an evening session at the start of May, practising setting up our 'scopes in daylight, then observing the crescent Moon before sunset, and ending up having a look for Jupiter and Mars in the twilight sky?

I hear that their GCSE pupils are keen to try lunar & planetary imaging using the afocal method by holding their camera-phones over the eyepieces (as demonstrated on a recent Sky at Night). I suppose that we could also demonstrate webcam imaging too?

cstone

Post by cstone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Put my down name as well Bill, just need dates.

But if anyone wants any tuition on Web Camera imaging using their own set-up then let me know I'd more than happy to help. If not I'll bring the C11.

bbones

Post by bbones » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Cheers Guys

Just want to ensure we get enough support before we start talking dates

dean_kos

Post by dean_kos » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Yea count me in also