Sony Camera

Reviews and questions about new and old equipment.
Share with us your latest purchase or discuss equipment that you are currently using
CEtherington

Sony Camera

Post by CEtherington » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Does anyone remember the model number of the Sony camera that was in use when we went to Todmorden observatory? As I remember, it was fitted into the back of one of the telescopes with an adapter. It was fab and got decent imaged in single shots, with no processing-I think.

rwilkinson

Re: Sony Camera

Post by rwilkinson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:11 am

According to the write-up in our May newsletter it was a Sony NEX5RK: a mirror-less DSLR-type camera with an APS-C sensor. But this is just a (high-end) consumer digital camera - not optimised for astro work.
Before buying any camera for imaging, you really should have a chat with some of our other members who've been doing it for a while, to hear what they have tried and would recommend or warn against. Our next workshop session on November 20th would be an ideal forum.
Then in my presentation on 4th December I'll be discussing some low-cost imaging options, including second-hand cooled CCD cameras.

rwilkinson

Re: Sony Camera

Post by rwilkinson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am

I know a lot more about these Sony mirrorless cameras now, having bought a second-hand NEX 5 body (for £55) just before Christmas.
We've not had much clear sky since then, but I did manage to catch Comet Wirtanen with it on New Year's Day:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=989&start=8
So I'm very pleased with it. I'll bring it along to our Show & Tell session next week, and am writing up my experiences for our newsletter.