Canon 600D and EOS Utilites

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
bbones

Canon 600D and EOS Utilites

Post by bbones » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm using EOS Utilities to schedule and capture my images taken with my Canon 600D, however I'm having to set the delay between images greater than the exposure i.e.

120 sec exposure
121 sec delay

I'm told there is a setting in the 600D which I can turn off to enable me to reduce the delay between exposures i.e.

120 sec exposure
11 sec delay

This would reduce the time when taking a series of images, is this correct?

Thanks

Bill

bchamberlain

Re: Canon 600D and EOS Utilites

Post by bchamberlain » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Is the long delay definitely occurring Bill. I use Backyard EOS myself so am not familiar with the program. It's just that some timers have the delay from the start of one exposure to the start of the next. If that's the case in your program it would mean a 120 sec exposure and a 121 sec delay would in fact produce a 1 sec delay between the two exposures. I'm guessing but it's worth checking out. Bill

bbones

Post by bbones » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 pm

I will double check but it looks like it wants to delay taking the next image for the exposure time plus 1 sec

If I use an intervalometer I can get it to work with only 10 sec between exposures,

Thanks

Bill

rwilkinson

Post by rwilkinson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 am

bbones wrote:If I use an intervalometer I can get it to work with only 10 sec between exposures
Then it can't be a setting in the camera - it must be a function of the program.
Try a "delay" (i.e. time between shutter-triggers) of 131 sec , as BillC suggested?

cstone

Post by cstone » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 pm

121 sec delay would in fact produce a 1 sec delay between the two exposure
Bill C. is correct with the above. It is deceiving but you may need a delay time especially when downloading to the PC. Even then the time can very depending on the exposure time. The longer the exposure, the bigger file, the longer it takes to download to the PC. I usually set it to 5, only cause it was an older machine.
Celestron 11" Telescope
Eq6 Pro Mount
Eq5 Mount
EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

bchamberlain

Post by bchamberlain » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Something else to think about. My software gives me the camera sensor temperature. Unless it's a very cold night, particularly with long exposures, I need at least 60 sec interval between shots, otherwise the temp. starts to creep up. I don't know how much any resulting increase in noise would affect the image quality though. Something the more experienced members will know.

rwilkinson

Re: temp-rise in DSLRs

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 am

bchamberlain wrote:I need at least 60 sec interval between shots, otherwise the temp. starts to creep up. I don't know how much any resulting increase in noise would affect the image quality though. Something the more experienced members will know.
My old Pentax K110D suffers very badly in this regard: I once tried taking a continuous series of 2-min "darks" and found that although the first one was mainly black, the second and third were getting pinkish, and by the fifth they were bright red!
So whenever I've used this camera, I set it for a cooling interval equal to the length of the exposures (i.e 50% duty-cycle).

bbones

Post by bbones » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi All

I think I have it sorted, I set up a sequence of frames with different delays and I have been watching the mirror flip up.

Thanks for the posts and help

Bill