Stars in Orion - Ross's Survey

Blog the previous nights viewing. Link to images on the gallery or simply describe what you observed the night before. Leave the technical and howto in another forum.
DRatledge

Stars in Orion - Ross's Survey

Post by DRatledge » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:50 pm

Following on from Tuesday when Ross mentioned the dark sky survey for how many stars you could see in Orion. That is inside the rectangle of Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Rigel and the one at the bottom left (kappa). You don't count these 4 though.

From by back garden:
My answer is...….. 6

3 for the belt, 2 in the sword and one middle right (west) - that last one was tricky even though it was a good night last night.

rwilkinson

Re: Stars in Orion

Post by rwilkinson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm

After I'd been outside for a while on Sunday night I went down to the bottom of the garden and found a spot screened from all the local streetlamps. There I spent a few minutes staring up at Orion, which was then high in the South (this was around 9:30pm) and I was surprised to get up to nine stars - including a couple of 4th magnitude.

Here's a graphic (from the C2A program) of all the stars above magnitude 4.5, onto which I've drawn the borders of the search area:
orion.png
The search area for Star Count 2019
orion.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
There are 13 stars within the box.

DRatledge

Re: Stars in Orion - Ross's Survey

Post by DRatledge » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:04 am

Tried again last night just after 10:00pm. Got the same answer --- 6 stars.

I think it must be down to me using 73 year old eyes!

rwilkinson

Re: Stars in Orion

Post by rwilkinson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 am

I've just heard from our youngest member Matthew, who lives in a dark area of the Wye Valley.
On Saturday night he was able to count 21 stars with his 13 year-old eyes :shock:

I had another look on Saturday, and couldn't get more than nine from the middle of Bolton.
But then I tried with my image-intensifier (fitted with a 50mm lens) and lost count - I'd got past thirty before I got down as far as "the belt"!

CEtherington

Post by CEtherington » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 am

Morning. I was out for a few hours last night, and scored 12, I think!
From Abbey Village.
You can run with the big dogs, or sit on the porch & bark.

DRatledge

Post by DRatledge » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Had another go at counting the stars again but I had help this time from my 11 year old grandson.
He could see 12. We checked them against a star map and his faintest was the red star just below the belt at magnitude 5.9. The faintest I could see was magnitude 3.8 - that's the one below the left end of the belt. That's 2 magnitudes different.
It would seem that the age of the eyes you are using is possibly more important than the darkness of the sky! Where do I get an eye transplant?