It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The first night of the winter?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:13 am 

After three months of waiting for it to go dark, I set up my comet-imaging system last night.
By 10pm I had my mount set up and polar-aligned, and as my target was in Pegasus, I did a one-star alignment on Enif.
I managed to get 33 frames of the comet C/2015 VL62 (Lemmon-Yeung-PanSTARRS) before 11pm, when the sky was brightening again due to the rising Moon. http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=950

Whilst my 'scope and camera were busy with the comet, I sat out on a chair looking for Perseid meteors. Even though Perseus itself was obscured by the trees, I did see five bright fast-moving meteors over the course of half an hour. A couple were 2nd magnitude, one was 1st magnitude and two were extremely bright: I think that the brightest could have been classed as a fireball!

All in all, an excellent start to the new season. :D

Last edited by rwilkinson on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The fist night of the winter?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 pm 

Ross,
Might have seen the same very bright meteor as yourself. I was looking in the direction of Bolton (from Adlington) at around 10:20pm - its path was obviously from Perseus crossing Andromeda/Pegasus.

Post subject: Re: Perseid meteors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm 

DRatledge wrote:
Might have seen the same very bright meteor as yourself. I was looking in the direction of Bolton (from Adlington) at around 10:20pm - its path was obviously from Perseus crossing Andromeda/Pegasus.

No David, mine were later than that: the first bright one was around 10:38, going through Aquila and the fireball about 10:55 in Andromeda.

The next forecast clear night is Tuesday, but tonight's edition of The Sky At Night is all about the Perseids: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091j816

Post subject: Re: The first night of the winter?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:06 am 

I hope your Tuesday night forecast is the accurate one. The 'Clear Outside' site says high cloud rolling in around 9pm